North Cedar Academy is a growing international school that works with students in grades 9-12. North Cedar Academy attracts students from around Wisconsin and the world. This full time position requires a dynamic teacher with the ability to develop positive relationships with students, parents, peers, and the community. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to provide students with rigorous and high-quality learning experiences in multiple areas within the Science Department. The current class load includes chemistry, biology, and physics. Candidates should be proactive and passionate in their work with teens using a hands-on learning approach that encourages students to imagine, create, and learn. Candidates who are proficient in the use of technology and interested in extracurricular and coaching positions are valued.
- Degree and experience in the sciences.
- Prefer experience as a teacher at the level and in the area of assignment.
- Planning and organizing effectively.
- Demonstrating competency in his/her area.
- Creating and maintaining an atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Providing opportunities for individual differences.
- Making provisions for individual differences.
- Encouraging the development of independent work habits.
- Using varied and appropriate instructional techniques to accomplish predetermined instructional objectives.
The teacher is expected to establish and maintain a professional relationship with students by:
- Encouraging respect for the rights, opinions, property, and contributions of others.
- Being sensitive to factors which affect pupil achievement and behavior.
- Being available for extra help.
- Communicating and maintaining a working relationship with parents.
- Maintaining confidentiality with respect to students and their records.
The teacher is expected to establish and maintain a professional relationship with fellow staff members by:
- Cooperating with other staff members.
- Consulting with co-workers in evaluating and meeting student needs.
- Leaving clear and complete instructions for substitutes.
- Following curriculum and policies approved by the Board.
- Cooperating in evaluation of present curriculum.
- Recommending possible revision of curriculum.
- Being proficient or distinguished in all areas listed on the Teacher Performance Evaluation.
- Communicating professionally and respectfully with students, staff, parents, and community members, using oral, written, and electronic means.
- Attending work regularly.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor
The teacher is expected to demonstrate professional development by:
- Participating actively in in-service programs.
- Keeping abreast of professional developments in his/her particular area and in education as a whole.
- Exploring new teaching techniques as alternatives to better accomplish predetermined instructional objectives.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and 2 letters of recommendation to Donald Smith, Executive Director (email@example.com).
The House Parent facilitates the social, emotional, academic, and personal adjustment of students. The House Parent develops a sense of community among students and staff to enhance the quality of life in the dorm. The House Parent provides after-school academic support and organizes activities and is attentive to the safety and security of the students while fostering independence. The House Parent enforces the rules and policies of Residence Life. The House Parent provides regular feedback to parents, faculty, and administration on student behavior.
- This position is for a female house parent to supervise the girls’ side of a co-ed high school dorm
- US Citizenship or valid US work visa
- Successful completion of a criminal background check (including the Federal Registry for Sexual Offenders)
- Valid US driver’s license and clean driving record
- Be 21 years of age or older in order to drive school vehicles
- Minimum Associates Degree required, Bachelors degree preferred
- Experience with teenagers preferred
- CPR and First Aid certification (will provide training)
- Evening, night, and weekend hours required on a rotating basis
- This is a live-in 10 month position with winter (2 weeks) and spring (1 week) breaks
- Free room and board – meals included while school is in session
- Assist in the functions of the academic program
Ensure the safety and well-being of students in a dormitory setting
- Knowledge of fire alarm system and fire drill procedures
- Meet with students who are experiencing issues (roommate conflicts, personal issues, etc.) and refer them to the Director of Resident Life for assistance as necessary
- Follow proper recording procedures for medication required by students
- Report and record all conduct and injury incidents
- Report all medical issues to nurse and facilitate any prescribed treatment
- Check all packages received by students and report any banned substances
- Report any suspected sleep or eating disorders/issues
- Handle all conduct issues with proper patience and follow up
- Set an example of cleanliness and encourage/enforce standards throughout the dorm
- Enforce all rules and procedures of the resident life program
- Communicate any safety issues in the dorm (student or facility) with the Head Resident Assistant and Director of Resident Life
- Prepare dorm rooms for the arrival of new students
- Maintain accurate records of attendance while chaperoning field trips
- Assist with the orientation of student resident assistants at the beginning of the school year
- Keep all student records (phone, address, room #s, medical) up-to-date
- Assign and mentor students on dorm chores and duties to maintain dorm cleanliness
Facilitate the creation of a strong resident life community
- Create and facilitate evening and weekend activities suited for students’ interests, including sports and special outings that promotes cultural integration
- Attend all meals with students when on duty
- Chaperone special activities (dances, cultural events, sporting events)
- Drive students to appointments, activities, special outings, community service
- Bring students from different cultures together to strengthen diversity
- Encourage students to try new experiences
- Update bulletin boards and announcement boards
- Attend weekly staff and dorm meetings
- Tutor students and assist with homework; maintaining an environment conductive to studying while promoting proper study habits
- Continue communication with teachers to follow up on student progress as needed
- Communicate frequently with parents to pass along student dorm life updates and photos
- Part time positions available in all areas of the school program depending on skills, experience, and interest
- An extra salary is available for this assistant position
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of recommendation to Bonny Smith, Director of Resident Life/Dean of Students (firstname.lastname@example.org).